The Library is a collection of information resources and other digital services made available to the users that are extremely important for the preservation and improvement of our culture.
The Academic program of the College of Nursing originally started at the Cebu Velez General Hospital School of Nursing in the school year 1952-1953 under the deanship of Dr. Liliosa Lumbab.
The College of Liberal Arts opened its first class in the school year 1966-1967. Then, in the following years, the other colleges were opened, the College of Medical Technology in the school year 1967-1968 and the College of Nursing in the school year 1968-1969.
In July 1971 Mrs. Gabriela Camay Maglasang was appointed as Library Assistant and managed the library together with Mrs. Arsenia Sanoy the library clerk, who was assigned and catered the needs of the students in the Nursing Library.
In June 1975, Ms. Elena Magbanua Sanchez was appointed as Librarian of the College of Arts and Sciences and supervised the College Library. She was later became the Head of the Library Services until her retirement on May of 2009.
In 2008, the College of Nursing Library was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences edifice to have a centralized Library. It has a discussion area for students situated at the 2nd floor of a two-storey building along Ranudo Street facing Casino Español.
Upon the retirement of Mrs. Elena M. Sanchez on May 2009, Mrs. Josefina P. Miñoza was hired as the College Librarian and later on appointed as the Head Librarian in February of 2012. Online databases and additional facilities were made available for fast and easy access of information.
As the institution aims to improve the services provided for the students, physical renovation and technological advancements were done in the library. It was also relocated in an area easily accessible by the students. Air conditioning units and new glass doors were installed and new computers were purchased for the Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC)
Velez College Library in the New Age
The Library started its formal automation with the efforts coming from the college deans, faculty members and the Librarians.
On November 2010, the Internet Room was created to assist library users in finding the information they need through the World Wide Web. The resources available on the Internet expand the library’s information services beyond traditional collections and electronic resources. Wi-Fi access is available in the library for students use.
In June 4, 2014, Subscription of electronic/online databases, the Health Reference Center Academic (HRCA) the electronic-journals (e-journals) and Gale Virtual Reference Library (GVRL) electronic books (eBooks) from Cengage Learning Asia.
In August 2014, The Library started using Destiny Library Manager, the Follett’s topof-the line library automation software that provides the easiest and fastest way to bring all the library automation functions together. The Library started using barcodes for books and computerized its processing of library materials to come up with an Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC). The provision of the OPAC gives fast and easy access to the library resources.
In June 2016, the Library transferred to its new location which is situated in the Annex of the General Sciences Building (GSB). It has a nice and accessible working area equipped with air-conditioning units, newly painted walls and ceilings, a separate Internet access area, an OPAC station, deposit counter, and a separate room for students for group discussion and for those who are into research.
The Library exists to support in achieving the mission, vision, goals and objectives of every learning institution, the existence of the library also guarantees that knowledge and technology are available to everyone, where people of all ages can practice lifelong learning.
ELECTRONIC RESOURCES ACCESS INFORMATION
VELEZ COLLEGE DESTINY LIBRARY MANAGER
- GALE DATABASES
- GALE VIRTUAL REFERENCE LIBRARY (GVRL) – a database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources to multidisciplinary research. These reference materials once were accessible only in the library, but now you can access these electronic reference books online from the library, or remotely 24/7.
- HEALTH REFERENCE CENTER ACADEMIC (HRCA) – A Multisource database that provides access to medical and professional periodicals, health and fitness magazines and pamphlets. The database is designed for both nursing and allied health students as well consumer health researchers. Most of the articles in this database are available in either abstract or fulltext. Also offers remote access 24/7.
- PHILIPPINE eBOOK HUB (open access)
- The Philippine E-Book Hub (PEBH) is a Web-based library designed for easy access to Filipiniana e-books.
- URL: ebookhub.ph
- AMERICAN PHYSICAL THERAPY ASSOCIATION
- URL: http://www.apta.org/
- HERDIN NEON DATABASE (open access)
- HERDIN database provides quick and easy access to more than 50,000 citation and bibliographic information from published Philippine health research journal, conference/convention proceedings, International databases and publications and unpublished research institutions, research projects and reports, thesis and dissertations health researches in the country. Citations may include links to full-text content from publisher web sites or downloadable at HERDIN.
- URL: herdin.ph
- PUBMED CENTRAL (open access)
- PUBMED CENTRAL (PMC) is a free full-text archive of biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the U.S. National Institutes of Health’s National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM)
- URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/
- OPEN ACCESS THESES AND DISSERTATIONS
- URL: OATD.org
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Observe silence at all times. Mobile phones should be set in silent mode.
2. The library is mainly for research. Eating, drinking bottled water, sleeping, smoking, watching online movies, playing mobile games, doing class projects and group discussion are not allowed inside the library. Group discussion is only allowed in the Library Extension and Discussion Room.
3. Keep the library clean and orderly.
4. Push back the chairs after using them.
5. Return newspapers and magazines and other periodical materials to their proper places.
6. Books on the reading areas should be left on the tables after using to avoid misplacing them except general references such as encyclopedia, dictionaries, etc.
7. Use your validated School I.D and Library Card upon entering the library and in borrowing books. These cards are nontransferable.
8. Books must be returned on time
9. Proper care of books and other library materials must be strictly observed.
10. Users must sign in/out the Daily Monitoring Statistics at the entrance area.
HOURS OF SERVICE:
The Velez College Library opens:
Mondays thru Fridays : 7:30a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturdays : 8:00a.m. – 12:00 noon
Mondays thru Fridays : 8:00a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturdays : 8:30a.m. – 11:30 noon
Library users are requested to check library notices for changes in schedules.
Mrs. Josefina P. Miñoza, MLIS
Mrs. Doris A. Limoran
Mrs. Lina S. Abcede
Ms. Ritsy A. Presbitero
Library Support Staff
Contact Information: (032) 2531871 local 906 Ground Floor, General Sciences Building (GSB) F. Ramos St. Cebu City, Philippines